This is how the completed roundabout will look.
What are we doing?
Following Council's decision in late 2019, we are upgrading the Champion/Salisbury Roads roundabout. The project will be done in stages and Fulton Hogan has been appointed as the contractor. We are:
- Putting extra lanes on the roundabout to cater for increased traffic as our region grows.
- Making it safer for cyclists and pedestrians (especially the many school children in the area) by adding raised crossings.
- Taking the chance to make improvements to the water supply and other services at the same time.
Why are we doing it?
This is the busiest roundabout in Tasman District, with about 17,000 vehicles going through a day and this number is only predicted to grow. This creates congestion during peak hours and makes it very difficult for pedestrians and cyclists to cross the roundabout safely.
Check out this larger image of how the upgraded roundabout will look.
Download a copy of the detailed design of the upgrade here. (pdf, 413 KB)
STAGE ONE – NOV/DEC 2020
Work on the water mains and other services is underway now, prior to Christmas. This work is happening alongside the road so there will be very little disruption to traffic. Any surrounding properties likely to be affected by water shutdowns will be given advanced warning.
As the water network is at a higher risk of contamination when we work on the mains, the Richmond water supply will be temporarily treated with chlorine to be sure it stays safe to drink.
The construction of a one-way access road off the Richmond Deviation (SH6) into Champion Road west (by the Aquatic Centre) will start in December.
STAGE TWO – STARTS JAN 2021
Work that will have an impact on traffic flow at the roundabout will start after the New Year break. This means we can have the work site running as safely as possible before the children return to school at the end of January. Our aim is to complete the project in July, provided we don’t encounter any unexpected delays.
TRAFFIC CHANGES DURING STAGE TWO
- There’ll be a new temporary access road to Champion Road West – left turn only from Richmond Deviation (SH6) – to access the Aquatic Centre and the businesses in this area, (Active Explorers, Caltex, Crossbow Coffee Roasters, Eddyline, Hubbers Flooring, Jennian Homes, Premier Services, Raeward Fresh, Richmond Aquatic Centre, Zink) that will all be open as usual.
- A temporary roundabout will be installed at the Templemore / Salisbury intersection to accommodate traffic detoured from Champion Road, via Kareti and Templemore Drives.
Work at the roundabout will be done in four sections so the directions you’ll be able to travel in will change.
These things will stay the same throughout:
- You will always be able to go straight through the roundabout travelling between Richmond and Stoke.
- You will not be able to turn right from any direction on the roundabout.
Clear signage will be in place. We’ll use bollards instead of cones so you’ll have a clear path to follow. Traffic will move more slowly because of the lane changes and speed restrictions.
If you have another route available, consider taking that option. Travelling via Queen Street, Oxford Street, or Talbot Street / McGlashen Avenue to connect with the Richmond Deviation / SH6.
Thanks for your patience
We understand that Stage Two of this work will be disruptive, especially with other construction also underway, so we thank you in advance for your patience and understanding. We’ll be working closely with the other projects to minimise disruption and to keep things running as smoothly and safely as possible. We’ll keep you updated as our project progresses.
You can read the November 2020 project update here.
Construction queries or reporting urgent issues: Fulton Hogan 03 547 9789
General queries, call Tasman District Council: 03 543 8400
Please note: The work currently underway opposite the Reserve next to Garin College is a separate project, establishing the site for the new supermarket.