Agriculture and horticulture

We're committed to making sure our unique natural environment is healthy and protected and that our region is supported by an innovative and sustainable economy.

We have rules relating to discharges to land and air from pesticide, fertiliser or animal effluent discharges, and limiting adverse cross-boundary effects arising from their use.

We also promote effective management of intensive agricultural activities. As a signatory to the Dairying and Clean Streams Accord all permitted and consented dairy discharges are monitored and reported on.

The Tasman District Council annual dairy compliance reports are available:

Whether you are spraying a patch of gorse, topdressing the back paddock, or carrying out a poison drop over a large area, it is important that you know your responsibilities when doing so. This page provides information about aerial and ground-based application of fertiliser and pesticide products.

Tasman District Council has rules relating to the discharge of fertiliser and pesticides to land and air, to limit adverse cross-boundary effects arising from their use. Council also encourages applicators to adhere to the Industry Codes of Practice to avoid, remedy or mitigate adverse effects of fertiliser use and promote sustainable land management practices.

Application of fertiliser
Application of pesticides

Dairy effluent

Dairy effluent is monitored by the Council to ensure farms are managing it appropriately. This section details the rules, good practice and assitance information to help farmers manage Dairy Effluent.

Dairy management
The Sustainable Dairy Water Accord
Discharge dairy effluent rules

Dairy farm frequently asked questions

The information below is intended to support the statutory requirements of the Tasman District Management Plan (TRMP) by answering the most frequently asked questions about farm dairy effluent. Where appropriate it may refer to other supporting advisory guides. It is important to note that not all the conditions you are required to comply with in the TRMP are covered here.

This information offers guidance to assist farmers with understanding and meeting their legal obligations in terms of farm dairy effluent in the Tasman region. The information is of a general nature, and provided as a guide only. It is not suitable for specific professional advice regarding a specific issue or situation. Failing to meet these legal obligations may potentially carry criminal penalties in the District Court.

This FAQ guide is not intended to be a substitute for competent and appropriate legal advice in the event of enforcement action for non compliance.

You can also download: Farm Dairy Effluent FAQ's (pdf, 397 KB)

This information is divided into the following sections:

What are the rules?

What do I have to do to be compliant?
What is the effluent storage sealing requirement and how do I meet it?
How is the ponding defined?
What happens if I have a one-off incident?
What happens when my farm is inspected by Tasman District Council?
What happens if my worker/sharemilker breaches the rules?
What happens if the effluent system I have to work with cannot comply?
Why are there rules, and what are they?
Does Tasman District Council keep changing the rules?
If I am non-compliant will I be prosecuted and how does the enforement process work?
Can Tasman District Council tell me if my effluent plan will be compliant with it's regulations?
I was told to fill in my pons and now you want me to build them again, will you ever make up your minds?
What are the safety requirements around ponds?

Location of effluent storage

Where should effluent storage be located?
How far does a pond need to be from a road or neighbours?
What are the NZ Food Standard distances for effluent facilities?
What is groundwater and why is it so important?
How do we find out about groundwater levels?

Effluent storage volumes

Why do we need storage?
What are the storage requirements?
What size storage is needed?
Will all industry providers give the same size calculations?
How many litres of effluent is produced per cow over 24 hours?
How much rainfall is collected in the pond during a 75mm rainfall event

Construction of storage facilities

Do I need to pay an engineer to permeability test my ponds?
I have a digger, can I build my pond myself?
Do I need consent for earthworks or other matters to construct an effluent storage pond?
How do I find a good effluent system disigner/advisor? Who will give give me the best advice?
Do contractors used for construction of effluent facilities have to be certified?
Can Tasman District Council Audit My System and Give Me Advice on Upgrading It?
If You Have an Existing Two Pond System Already Is It Best To Combine To Make One Pond?
What Are The Options for Separating Rainwater From The Effluent System?
How Do I Construct Ponds on Peat?
Can You Use Retired Effluent Ponds?

Storage liners

Are clay liners acceptable?
What types of liners are there and what is the best one?
How do soil types affect application
What are the storage options for peat soils?
What is Best for the Environment, Treatment Ponds or Land Application?
What is the Best Effluent System Out There?
How do I Irrigate On Hump and Hollow Land?
What is the Best Way to Apply Effluent?
What do I do with Effluent Sludge from my Sandtrap/Feedpad/Pond?
How Big Does The Effluent Block Need To Be?
What Is Meant By Green Water Flood Washing?
How Do I Manage Odour and Gaseous Loss From Effluent?

Last modified: