Do I need a resource consent?

Some guidelines on when you may need to apply for a resource consent - and also some instances where you won't.

You'll definitely need a resource consent if...

You'll definitely need a consent if you're planning on doing one of the following:

  • Building in a location or a way that breaks any rule in the Tasman Resource Management Plan - for example, building over a height limit, or too close to a boundary
  • Building a first dwelling in the Rural 1 or Rural 3 zone
  • Subdividing a property
  • Adjusting the legal boundaries of a property
  • Building a second dwelling on a property
  • Building in the coastal environment area
  • Taking a large amount of fresh water
  • Discharging contaminants to land, air or water
  • Planning an activity that isn't permitted for the zone - for example, opening a commercial shop in a residential area.

  • Find out more about how to apply(external link)

You won't need a resource consent if...

  • Your planned activity meets all the rules in the Tasman Resource Management Plan and any national enviromental standards
  • We can give you formal confirmation of this, if you apply for a "Certifcate of Compliance" - then we will review your plan and confirm in writing that it complies with the TRMP.
  • Your planned activity breaks a boundary rule or rules only (for example a height in relation to boundary or yard setback rule), and no other other rules are involved. If that boundary isn't public (any land owned by the Crown or the council), and you have got written approval from all the infringed boundary owners have, then you can apply for a "Deemed Permitted Boundary Activity". An example might be if you're building a garage that comes too close to your property's side boundary, but your neighbour has agreed that it's okay and provided their written approval.

  • Download an application form for a Deemed Permitted Boundary Activity (pdf, 139 KB)(external link)

Still not sure whether you need a resource consent?

The final word as to whether you need a resource consent sits with the Tasman Resource Management Plan - but of course, talking to one of our consent planners is a quick way to find out what you need to know.  If you're not sure whether you need a consent, you can:

We strongly encourage you talk to us about your project.  

Last modified: