Land remediation update
Now that the Pigeon Valley fire is controlled, we will be working towards remediating damage caused by the fire and equipment used to contain it. Landowners/leaseholders need to initially utilise their insurance cover. Where there is no cover or the cover is insufficient, the next alternative is to ...

Paper roads

Paper roads are also known as unformed legal roads. This page answers questions on access and what to do if you have one on your property.

What is a unformed legal road or paper road?

Paper roads are areas of land that have been legally designated as a road or road reserve but have not yet had a road constructed. They got this name because while they may exist on paper maps or plans, they cannot be physically seen.

What is a road stopping?

The sale of unformed legal road for private use is a formal legal process whereby the road is ‘stopped’. This removes the legal status of ‘road’, and the land becomes freehold (fee simple) land, enabling it to be sold.

More information

Walking access on paper roads
Who can apply for a road stopping?
How to apply for a road stopping

Last modified: