Council will consider exemptions (under Schedule 1(2) of the Building Act) on a case-by-case basis. Exemptions can save documentation, time, and costs.
We can consider exemptions for building work and projects where work is:
- Carried out by or under supervision of suitably qualified persons, and
- Assurances are given as to how compliance with the New Zealand Building Code will be achieved, and
- If compliance with the Code is not achieved in full, assurances are given that life and property will not be affected.
- You can't get an exemption for any work that includes changes to fire safety systems or egress routes
- You can't get an exemption for changes to specified systems on a compliance schedule.
- Contact the duty building officer to discuss your plans and possible discretionary exemption.
Phone 03 543-8400 or use the contact us form
How to apply for a discretionary exemption
Complete the application form on the AlphaOne portal. You will need to include details of why the exemption should be approved.