To save documentation, time, and costs, we will consider exemptions on a case-by-case basis.
We can consider exemptions for building work and projects where work is:
- Carried out by or under supervision of suitably qualified persons, and
- Assurances are given as to how compliance with the New Zealand Building Code will be achieved, and
- If compliance with the Code is not achieved in full, assurances are given that life and property will not be affected.
- You can't get an exemption for any work that includes changes to fire safety systems or egress routes
- You can't get an exemption for changes to specified systems on a compliance schedule.
- Contact the duty building officer to discuss your plans and possible discretionary exemption. Phone 03 543-8400 or use the contact us form
How to apply for a discretionary exemption
Complete the application form on the AlphaOne portal.
You will need to include details of why the exemption should be approved.
More guidance and a full exemption listing
Find the full list of exemptions on building.govt.nz
Work that is exempt under Schedule 1 of the Building Act is still required to meet the Building Code to ensure it is safe and fit for purpose. It must also comply with relevant planning controls