About commercial building consents

Commercial and public buildings have special requirements under the Building Act, to make sure that they're accessible to people with disabilities, and to keep people safe in case of fire or other emergencies.

New commercial buildings

The process for making the application is the same as the residential process, but commercial consents are more complex than residential consent applications. All applicants for commercial buildings should make an appointment with a duty building control officer by phoning 03 543 8400.

Commercial building alterations

You'll need to consider some specific issues if you're altering a commercial building, changing its use, or subdividing it.


Altering an existing building
Changing the use of an existing building
Subdividing an existing building
Referral to Fire and Emergency New Zealand
Extension of life
Pre-application meetings

Last modified: