Restricted building work

Some building work must be carried out by licensed building practitioners.

Restricted building work is work that’s critical to make a home structurally sound and weather tight.

You must use licensed building practitioners (LBPs) to design and carry out this work. LBPs must either do or supervise the work.

Building work that is in the restricted building work category must only be done by or under the supervision of an LBP, unless you are using the owner-builder exemption. (external link)

The exemption provides owner-builders or Do-It-Yourself builders (DIY) a regime where they can undertake restricted building work on their own homes.

Your application for building consent must include a Memorandum (Certificate of Design Work)(external link) or a (external link)Owner-builder Statutory Declaration(external link).

Further reading

Read more about restricted building work on the website.(external link)

Read more information regarding the Owner-Builder Exemption on the website.(external link)

Last modified: