Vegetation control – roadside spraying in rural areas

Our roading maintenance contractor uses a range of knock-down, residual and brushweed herbicides to control vegetation within the road reserve. The active herbicides that may be used are norflurazon, oryzalin, simazine, terbuthylazine, glyphosate, metsulfuron, haloxyfop, triclopyr and picloram/triclopyr. Methods for treatment are foliar and basal spraying.

No spray option

If you would prefer we don't chemically spray the frontage of your property you can ask to be added to the "no spray" list.

If you take up this option you must control the vegetation growth outside your property yourself to make sure road users aren't hindered, and that all roadside signs and markers are clearly visible.

Vegetation should not be higher than 300mm. You will also need to keep stormwater drainage ditches clear of excess vegetation.

At intersections vegetation must be kept well clear to ensure good sight lines for traffic using the intersection.

If you wish to apply for your property to be added to the “No Spray” list, please contact Nikki Shepherd, Technical Officer Transportation, Tasman District Council, Phone 03 543 7234 or email –

Roadside spraying on state highways

New Zealand Transport Agency contractors carry out an ongoing vegetation control programme to ensure roadside vegetation doesn't affect the safety or operation of the region’s state highway network.

This programme uses chemical herbicides, including the following active ingredients: Glyphosate, Metsulfuron, Terbuthylazine and Triclopyr.

You can also register with NZTA to prevent chemical spraying outside your property if you are on a state highway. You will be required to maintain your frontage to specifications provided by NZTA.

To be added to NZTA's "no spray" list, contact Lea O’Sullivan or Nicole White on  03 548 1099 or at WSP Opus, Private Bag 36, Nelson.