Land remediation update
Now that the Pigeon Valley fire is controlled, we will be working towards remediating damage caused by the fire and equipment used to contain it. Landowners/leaseholders need to initially utilise their insurance cover. Where there is no cover or the cover is insufficient, the next alternative is to ...

Water tanker permits

Find out when a permit is required and how to get one.

About the permits

All users of bulk water from a Tasman District Council network (potable water suppliers, contractors etc) are required to hold a current permit to take water. All permits issued will expire annually on 30 June. 

Only the Fire and Emergency New Zealand can freely draw water from fire hydrants for the purpose of fighting fires, training and testing.

Permit users pay an annual permit fee covering the cost of the hydrant standpipe, connection fees, administration and annual testing costs of the backflow prevention device.

Please note that contractors supplying potable water to the public must also:

  • Register on the Ministry of Health’s Register of Community Drinking- Water Supplies and Suppliers.
  • Comply with the requirements of Section 11, Drinking-water Standards for New Zealand 2005 (Revised 2008)

Application form

Further information

If you require more information about water tanker permits, please contact the Engineering Services Department:

Last modified: